On Sat, 8 Jul 2006 11:42:50 -0500 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>Ah... what we need is transparent aluminum.  But, of course we don't
>have such a thing..... at least..... not officially....

In the interests of academic integrity, I gotta come clean  :^))

In his book "The Wizard War" Prof. R. V. Jones, soon to become Britain's
director of scientific intelligence during WW2, relates how he spoofed an
overly inquisitive Admiraty Research Lab staffer who had had suggested
the value of a substance that was both a good conductor of electricity
and also tranparent to light.

 "But we haven't got transparent metal, have we Doctor?" the staffer
asked. "No," Jones replied, then paused conspiritorially , "Well, no, not
officially."

Jones was such an accomplished master of the art of spoof that he soon
convinced the staffer that the admiralty was trying to build an invisible
battleship, but had only been able to produce enough of the metal to
build an invisible topedo boat, which was still troubled by the fact that
the wake was visible, as was the crew.

If you've never read it... get "The Wizard War" by R. V. Jones., ISBN
0-698-10896-5
published in Britain as "Most Secret War"

There is a passage where he credits the contributions of Britain's ham
radio enthusiasts in providing a cadre of sorely needed radio and
electronics savvy personnel out the onset of the war.  And points out how
Germany's supression of hams had deprived them of a similar resource.
Hence Germany had to bring a device nearly to the point of fool-proof
perfection before releasing it for use, whereas the British could put
systems barely past the prototype stage into operations, knowing they had
enough "tinkerers" who could make it work.

Jones also relates that as a boy he had built a SW receiver that could
pick up Australia, and had received from Radio Australia a QSL card
signed by the English Test Team  (cricket, for us yanks)

73
Jim N5IB