Alex wrote:

In my reading about green radios I can't afford (but want anyway) and
in various readings I've heard that detecting the 455-kHz LO of a
superhet isn't all that hard, and that for instance in countries that
require a radio license, they use such techniques to check if people
in their houses have radios (or TVs) that they're not on record of
having licenses for! And, in a lot of the military radios, the
shielding is VERY good so that detection is much harder to do.

----------------

That's true for some tens of feet around for unshielded vacuum-tube radios
that used fairly robust local oscillators. In countries where a license for
a receiver is required, authorities sometimes located receivers by driving
up and down streets with special listening vans. They could often hear the
local oscillator if they were quite close to the receiver's location.

Local oscillators don't radiate well. The antenna input to the receiver is
tuned to the signal frequency, well off of the L.O. frequency, so it and any
antenna doesn't radiate much. It's the same for TV's; There's virtually no
radiation from the antennas.

What receiver DOES radiate well enough to be heard for miles around -
sometimes around the world - is a regenerative detector without an RF stage
to isolate the detector from the antenna. In that case, the detector (when
oscillating in autodyne mode for CW reception) is oscillating on the same
frequency the antenna circuit is tuned to, and well-coupled to the antenna!
Vacuum tube regenerative detectors might produce a watt or more of RF, and
solid state detectors can produce 10s or 100s of milliwatts.

In the late 1920's and early 1930's, before superheterodynes became popular
for Ham use, the QRM from oscillating regenerative detectors was a very
serious problem on many Ham bands. Armstrong (who invented both the
regenerative detector and the superheterodyne circuit the Elecraft receivers
use) wrote open letters to Hams that were published in journals like QST
begging them to add RF amplifiers ahead of their regenerative detectors.

That's still true today for people using vintage designs from that era, but
they are relatively few in number and we're assaulted by so much other RFI
(read the recent thread on digital RFI) that they're seldom noticed.

Ron AC7AC