With nearly all modern transceivers nowadays, the trick is to set the power on AM to 25 watts (which is the most you should ever run a 100 watt transceiver on AM), and use AM to tune your KAT500.  This puts a carrier into the tuner at an acceptable low power.

You can tune it in CW mode, but that requires turning the transceiver's power output down, and then turning it back up.  By using AM the power is already set at 25 and doesn't need further adjusting.  Some ops like to tune in FM mode, but I prefer AM.

When the KAT500 has finished its routine, switch back to SSB at 100 watts (or whatever you want).

73,

Kent  K9ZTV