From: "Russell Domareck via Elecraft" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
To: "elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: 12/09/2020 22:04:29
Subject: [Elecraft] K1ZTE - KAT500

I own a KAT500 and KPA500 that I use with an IC 7300.  When in CW mode, the
KAT500 can be activated by keying the IC 7300, no problem.  This allows the
KAT500 to find a match with low power while the KPA500 is in standby mode.  In
SSB mode, there is still the need to activate the KAT500 for the match,
however, neither keying the mike nor speaking into the mike activates the
KAT500.  A press of the transmit button in the IC 7300 also did not activate
the KAT500.  I find that I have to first switch to CW mode for the activation
before switching to SSB so that the KAT500 is all set for KPA500 operation.  Is
what I am doing the only way to do this?  I have read related posts on this
subject but they did not satisfactorily answer my question.