Like K5MWR, my K3 & KPA1500 work correctly with the K3 going to the alternate
power setting when the 1500 is switched in Standby.

K3: Firmware 5.67  Power Set per Band; Tuning power Normal.

KPA1500: Firmware 2.38  Band Change Standby = No.

Neither unit is connected to a computer for any control functions. The sole
connection is an outboard analog to USB interface for the digi modes.

I'm open to checking any other settings that might illuminate.

GL - Steve WB6RSE