Well that IS rather condescending.

I would take a different view, that MOST of the hams using Elecraft use MOST of the features on a regular basis but because the features are designed well, the user doesn't NEED to fiddle about (or understand the precise ways they work).  One of the benchmarks of a good UI is that most of it is set and forget.  Elecraft: PASS

With the support group, the manual and the Cady book; there is ample opportunity to learn some of the nuts and bolts for those who want to know.  Once set to operate in the fashion that the user prefers; the radio (with all the features) is simply used.  If one doesn't understand a function or wishes to learn a better use of a feature, they can read or just ask (or watch a video if that is how they best learn).

No one is born with all knowledge and I won't be disparaging to new hams; some of them blow right through all the exams in one sitting going from nothing to the highest license. They may not have experience yet, but clearly they're not idiots as you imply.  (Sadly, some are, even after decades of opportunity to learn better.)  It is the job of every ham, to teach them how to be better, to pass knowledge along.

Some people LIKE making adjustments and learning the deep secrets of any device; others adjust according to their needs and a few just leave most of the settings as stock and yet none of them are wrong.

Elecraft radios are no more complex than other radios but the simpler front panel UI (based on USING the radio, not fiddling with it) hides it a lot more than many other brands.  Then add that Elecraft designers actually USE the radios in all things ham radio; they understand what is needed for the 'average' ham, the DXer and the contester no matter what mode they choose. Kencomsu may, we never know and hear only crickets from them.

The K4 won't be much different; simple up front with the bulk of the used (but no need to be in your face) features accessible with the menu UI.  Certainly it's a better platform for future growth with refinements unavailable when the earlier models were designed; but that's splitting hairs that only an extreme user (contesting, DXing) would require.  It will be a solid, dependable radio, no matter how the ham chooses to use it; with growth potential unavailable from almost any other brand.

Name any other company that gives you FREE firmware updates in real time (not months later like Icom or never like most others) until the issues are resolved to the user satisfaction; or that ADD features previously unavailable. Or offer hardware updates or refinements, in part because the radios are designed to be modular and upgradeable as new devices are available.  Or board level support.  <crickets>

No, I won't disparage or belittle any of the Elecraft line; the UI makes it all available (mostly set and forget); you get to talk directly with the designers and owners of the company and they do more than any other company to make things 'right' in the eyes of the customer/user; not just give cookie cutter designs and answers then move on with no help provided.

And the product line just works better, hearing ability is among the very elite and transmitters are cleaner on the air than most of the other brands.

If a user is constantly fiddling about with the controls; it's because they either want to or don't understand their proper use and should ask questions.  Set and forget is an asset.  Once set, the complexity hidden within the UI is one of the strong points, because it doesn't require an EE and operation becomes simple allowing the user to simply use and enjoy the radio.

If the user has not looked into all the settings, perhaps it's because they haven't needed to do so.  That's a telltale mark of a good product (although the ham SHOULD learn more about what tool/s they're using, in my opinion).

Maybe you haven't dived into the depths, because you haven't needed to or other reasons; but I wouldn't group all users in that category.  Each user has an level of understanding and ability; no two are exactly the same; no two stations are precisely alike.

When I first get any piece of gear, I go through every setting, making sure I understand it's use (adjust if needed); then I stop being concerned about the vast array of choices and just use the radio.  I may go back for refined adjustments, but that's not very often.  I suspect most hams are similar to that method.  If it's been a while, the manual, Cady book and group can be used (in that order) to find the proper control.

By design, Elecraft radios can be used by a wide range of hams from basic noob to EE+ education; from ragchewers to <fill in the blank extreme use>; they've hit the mark.

They allow the hams to rise to higher level of understanding, competence and ability because of the quality; with some help from the manual, user groups, Cady book and DIRECT contact.  VERY few companies are at that level, other than Elecraft.

73,
Rick NK7I

"I can explain it to you, but I can't make you understand it."