Precisely why (since MS can foul up audio settings routinely on any random update) it's a bad idea.  Leaving one small check mark in a lower level driver setting (looping/routing audio) that leaves a mic hot is but one example.  There are  too  many ways to make an error.  Using the computer sound card on a radio is not 'set and forget'.

We still have a large base of folks that don't get what is required to operate a clean (legal) station; we all learn as we go.  Setting boundaries is part of that edcucation (OS stays in OS, radio stays in radio).

Turning off the OS sounds, one would also lose features that the OS and apps that are useful (like JTAlert "DX" announcements, Zoom/Skype audio).  The small cost of a sound device (or second sound card) for the radio(s) is certainly worth the gains and lowering of the risks.

73,
Rick NK7I