HNY Phil,

While I'm not an attorney, I've read the rules (subject to interpretation of course).  Transmission of music is specifically unlawful.  (What is defined as music these days, also subject to interpretation, hi hi.)

Defined in the simplest of terms, any sound transmitted other than for the purposes of communication (voice, tones for digital) is illegal.

This includes background music in the same room as the microphone (though generally ignored as part of the environment, in the US; same as telephone 'hold' music in an autopatch; traffic noise etc.) and certainly includes the 'musical' sounds from most OS (they offer no communication).

Which, to me, means the sounds from an OS are unlawful to transmit.  If the incidental OS sound is spoken ("You have mail"), that isn't legal in the digital, non-phone) portions of the bands.  At the very least, they use more spectrum than necessary (i.e. 3 KHz bandwidth in an area for FT8, which uses ~60 Hz bandwidth per user) and offer nothing for communication.

Considering the general apathy of the FCC lately (US of course), I'm not surprised that this has never been tested by citation.  I'd much rather err on the side of caution.  Turning off the OS sounds is not a complete solution.

Using a sound card, specific and limited to the radio use, is a vast improvement over using the OS sounds device to maintain legality.

73,
Rick NK7I