Phil, K2ASP wrote:

I was one of the engineers there (Customs House in San Francisco) who gave
the code tests, and
  in fact from 1968 through 1974 my office was the room in which
  the code table with the funky Trimm headsets of the type that I
  would love to have today to  go with my refurbished J-38 key
  was located.

-------------------------

You may well have given me my Extra test there in the 70's. I darn near
ripped that key off the desk hammering out the 20 wpm!

I neglected to renew my Commercial Radiotelegraph license in time and had to
re-sit that test too, but that was in the early 90's over in Oakland. I
understand it was the last, or nearly the last, exam conducted by the FCC
before they turned them over to subcontractor testing agencies. Dave Doone
of the SF FCC office gave my sending test that time.

CONGRATULATIONS to Bernie!!!

Well done!

Test were ALWAYS harder back when us OT's took 'em, and the snow was deeper
and rain harder.

Some day you can grumble about how easy it is for the kids of 2040 to pass
their exams...

Ron AC7AC