On 2021-01-15 18:25:+0100, Eugen Bauknecht via Elecraft wrote:
>Hello,
>after removing the cable of an external key the tip of the stereo 3.5 mm plug
>remains in the KX2 key jack.
>Any idea how to remove the tip without destroying or replacing the key jack?
>Any help is appreciated.
>73 de Eugen DL4SAS

I had this happen with one of my "quality" adapters that I used in my Kenwood
TS-830S. I think the reason in my case was 1) the quality adapter (Sony) was
designed for newer jacks, and 2) the older Kenwood jack is very "strong". That
is, the spring tension of the clips that hold the 1/4" plug exert a lot of
pressure. I assume that is because in days of old (I picked this up decades
ago, and still have an original headset from those days) the plug was also
pretty sturdy. Think old style switchboards, and cycles.

I ended up using a variety of tools, and going in from the rear. The broken tip
was rotated, so it would not simply pop out. I needed to use a fine round steel
pick to line it up correctly, then use another fine tool to press the tip out
from the rear. I went to all this trouble because to get at the jack on the 830
means dismantling much of the radio. I originally thought, that's too much
work, I should be able to do this easily. Not so. Much patience, finding the
right tools, dexterity. Not familiar with the KX2, but assume that it would be
easier because the KX2 is much newer tech. Heck, might not even be worth the
effort, if the jack is reasonably accessible...just replace it? Or is it
board-mounted? Even so, prob easier to get at than my 830. OTOH, the 830 jack
is "open", so I could get at the internals. Some newer jacks are encased. In
that case (sic), I think that a replacement is in order.

~R~
72/73 de Rich NE1EE
The Dusty Key
On the banks of the Piscataqua