Checked my log...we have not worked:)73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Julia Tuttle <ju...@juliatuttle.net>
Date: 6/10/21  12:00 AM  (GMT-05:00) To: Gary K9GS <k...@gjschwartz.com> Cc:
Elecraft Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Gurus
It's KV1V, but probably not -- I've mostly been working FT8 from my (noisy,
urban, antenna-limited) home QTH, and I don't think you were one of the couple
of folks I managed to reach on CW from my girlfriend's (quiet, rural, big
enough to have a full-size 40m dipole) QTH.On Wed, Jun 9, 2021 at 11:42 PM Gary
K9GS <k...@gjschwartz.com> wrote:I agree Julie,Just curious, what is your call?
 I wonder if we've worked?73,Gary K9GS
-------- Original message --------From: Bill Johnson <k9...@live.com> Date:
6/9/21  11:32 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: Al Lorona <alor...@sbcglobal.net>, Julia
Tuttle <ju...@juliatuttle.net> Cc: Elecraft Reflector
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net> Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Gurus Here, here,
Julie!BillK9YEQHave a great day!Bill________________________________From:
elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> on behalf
of Julia Tuttle <ju...@juliatuttle.net>Sent: Tuesday, June 8, 2021 9:36:00
PMTo: Al Lorona <alor...@sbcglobal.net>Cc: Elecraft Reflector
<elecraft@mailman.qth.net>Subject: Re: [Elecraft] GurusI'm gonna second "above
all, have fun"!If it brings you joy to have the highest performing rig you can,
cool, andI hope it serves you well.But if a different aspect of a radio, or
even one you can't name, bringsyou joy, that's also cool, and I'm happy it
makes you happy!My KX3 isn't at the top of the Sherwood list, it doesn't have a
panadapter(...yet), and connecting it up for digital modes is a bit of a rat's
nest......but I'll be darned if it isn't just fun as shit to use. The UI is
wellthought out, the VFO knob is a work of art, (surprisingly) the compact
sizemakes it more approachable/friendly for it, and the community here aroundit
(as heated as it can get) is tighter-knit.None of those show up in a spec sheet
or lab testing Get what makes *you*happy, and share your experience so the next
ham can do the same.Cheers,JulieOn Tue, Jun 8, 2021, 21:57 Al Lorona
<alor...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:> When this subject appeared last week I had
composed a reply but then slept> on it and canceled it the next morning, as I
probably do 80% of the time.>> In this my second attempt, let me say that I've
always been amazed at the> power wielded by Rob Sherwood. Thousands of hams
hang on his latest tests.> If he deems a new radio exceptional in some way,
that can mean many> millions of dollars for a manufacturer.>> And yet, if there
were no such thing as gurus on the web and at places> like Dayton expounding
about how Brand A is better than Brand B, how would> you answer the questions,
"Do I like this transceiver?," and, "Is it any> good?">> You'd probably get on
the air and use it, and decide that way.>> But we constantly have gurus telling
us that Brand A is the 'best' which> horrifies us if up until now we liked
Brand B better. Against our personal> experience we flip-flop and say, "Gee, I
used to like Brand B, but Brand A> must be better because the gurus say so.">>
Yet, there will always be guys who'll be tortured owning a transceiver> that
has the 2nd highest dynamic range, or the 3rd best distortion. Never> mind if
they can't actually hear the differences.>> It's how a rig *sounds and feels*
during actual operating that's most> important. Not the numbers. For instance,
Wes made a comment about his> tuning knob, and although some of you might have
laughed at that... it's> darned important! That's the kind of thing I'm talking
about.>> Here's my opinion on ranking receivers by 2 kHz 3rd order dynamic
range:> almost any modern receiver has enough dynamic range to make this
ranking> more and more meaningless as time goes on. Sherwood himself has said
that> 90 dB or above is plenty enough. To understand why, see this post from
2016> by one of the old guys on this reflector:>
http://elecraft.365791.n2.nabble.com/K3-The-Way-We-Rank-Receivers-long-td7623639.html>>>
 Lastly, if you've been enjoying your rig for years and then hear someone> else
complain about a flaw you weren't even aware of, don't panic. There> are a
million reasons why his concerns might not involve you in the least.>> Above
all, have fun.>> Al W6LX/4>

Message delivered to ju...@juliatuttle.net