I live in a place where there is a ham with a legal limit rig and a big beam less than 1 km. away. Antennas are line of sight. His signal renders about 10-20 kHz of the (CW) band unusable, with lesser effects extending out farther. He does not have clicks; it is phase noise (or something like that).

I have experimented with attenuators and they have NO effect on the apparent width of his signal. Therefore I conclude that the problem is not in my receiver (K3, not S, upgraded synthesizers).

I don't know what kind of transceiver he is using, but I think more attention needs to be paid to transmitter cleanliness, rather than to continue the race for dynamic range.

73,
Victor, 4X6GP
Rehovot, Israel
CWops #5