I don't think I've seen an answer to this question.

Is H/W flow control set for the port.  That would explain it.  I don't recall
if N1MM has flow control as an option or not when setting up the port, but the
port settings in the device manager do.

If that is not the answer, then we need to look elsewhere.

Is there any other software besides N1MM that can possibly be using serial
ports?  If so, don't bring them up and see if it goes away.  Then bring them up
one by one to figure out who's doing it.

If that doesn't help, go here
(https://www.eltima.com/products/serial-port-monitor/) and download the
monitor.  IIRC, they have a 14 free trial.  It will help you find out who is
messing with the serial port for the radio.

I can't tell you how many really bad actors (not just ham programs) that are
out there for serial ports.  I have caught programs opening every port up to 15
times to scan and see what ports are available rather than using the registry
as they should - dumb programmers.  That drove my radio nuts because it would
mess with DTR/RTS.  I have caught programs opening every port and playing with
modem control and constantly sending data to see what responses it gets to find
their devices and causing all sorts of havoc - those programmers should be
fired and sent to McDonalds to flip burgers - that is all they are good for.
Programs should never send data to devices they don't know they own.

I've gotten to the point of looking at firing up virtual machines so I can
control what hardware the bad actor programs can even see.  I really wish M$
would put ACLs in place for the COM ports.

Then there's the whole serial enumerator idea (again someone's bad idea to
treat serial ports as plug and play) causing havoc with mice.  Thank M$ and
FTDI for perpetuating that horrifically bad idea.

Sorry for the soap box, but I was trying to give you an idea of just how badly
serial ports are treated in Windows by both M$ and the programmers out there.

73,
Joe

On Jul 10, 2021, at 14:01, Frank Stein