Joe,
Thanks for your response.  See my responses embedded below IN CAPS FOR YOU
TO SEE.

Appreciate any thoughts.

73,
Frank
W4TG

On Mon, Jul 12, 2021 at 7:51 AM Joseph DeVincentis <j...@ko8v.net> wrote:

> I don't think I've seen an answer to this question.
>
> Is H/W flow control set for the port.  That would explain it.  I don't
> recall if N1MM has flow control as an option or not when setting up the
> port, but the port settings in the device manager do.
> SETTING I HAVE "DISABLE MODEM CTRL AT STARTUP CHECKED.  WAS THERE SOMETHING
> ASSOCIATED WITH FLOW CONTROL THAT i SHOULD DISABLE?
> If that is not the answer, then we need to look elsewhere.
>
> Is there any other software besides N1MM that can possibly be using serial
> ports?  If so, don't bring them up and see if it goes away.  Then bring
> them up one by one to figure out who's doing it.
>
>>>  BEFORE I START N1MM THERE IS NO PROBLEM, THAT IS THE tx LIGHT IS NOT
FLASHING.  MY BREAKOUT BOX HAS RXD, TXD DTR AND RTS RED.
IF I START CWTYPE WHICH USES THE DTR LINE FOR CW, WHEN I SEND FROM THE
KEYBOARD, THE RTS LIGHT TURNS GREEN AND THE DTR FLASHES, AND THE K3
TRANSMITS AS IT SHOULD.

WHEN I START N1MM (EVEN WITH RTS = OFF AND DTR = OFF) THE TXD AND RXD FLASH
GREEN ON THE BREAKOUT BOX AND THE RIG'S TX LIGHT FLASHES ON AND THE RECEIVE
AUDIO PAUSES DURING THE FLASHES. IF I CLOSE N1MM, THEN THE RIG RETURNS TO
NORMAL.

IF I START THE K3 UTILITY PROGRAM, NOTHING HAPPENS UNTIL I TEST
COMMUNICATIONS AND THEN THE TX FLASHES AS WITH N1MM (BUT ONLY ONE TIME). IF
I GOT TO TERMINAL TAB THE RIG FLASHES UNTIL I LEAVE THAT MODE (AND THE RXD
AND TXD LIGHTS ON THE BREAKOUT BOX FLASH) .

SO I DON'T THINK IT IS A 'BAD ACTOR'  - FOR SOME REASON SENDING AND
RECEIVING DATA CAUSES THE TX LIGHT ON THE RIG TO FLASH.