"Both are VERY quick to sense TX frequency. All it takes ia a dit or a tap on
the mic. All they NEED from the rig are RF and a KEY or PTT voltage or closure."

May work for you but are you using KAT500 antenna port selection?  My issues
with RF detection as the primary tuning mechanism include the fact that the
KAT500 will fault before it has time to select the correct antenna for the band
in use.

I need the KAT500 and KPA500 to be configured before I transmit.  I suspect
that anyone who uses KAT500 antenna port selection would too.

73,
Andy, k3wyc