To: "K2"
Sent: Friday October 8 2021 10:42:44PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Power supply for KX3

 The Radio Shack supplies are abysmally noisy. Don’t go there…the
Pro Audio is far superior.

 Dan Presley 503-701-3871
 danpresley@me. com
 n7...@arrl.net

 > On Oct 8, 2021, at 17:49, Jim Brown  wrote:
 > On 10/8/2021 4:14 PM, qr...@roadrunner.com wrote:
 >> The ubiquitous Radio Shack 22-124A (and its variants) power supply
is
 >> a perfect match for the KX-3. Manufactured by the millions and
cheaper
 >> than dirt on that watery place or under hamfest tables it meets
the
 >> current-handling needs of the KX-3.
 >
 > I don't see comments on the elephant in the room -- most commercial
power supplies dump out lots of RF noise, both from their switch-mode
operation and their regulation circuitry. I would be VERY suspicious
of any such unit not specifically marketed to hams for use on the HF
bands.

 > The ProAudioEng PSU is quiet for the low current needed for
receive, but is noisy at the higher current of transmit. No problem if
you're using only one radio at a time, but bad news if you're
listening on a second radio tuned to another band while transmitting.
It may be possible to quiet that noise with ferrite chokes. I have one
of these PSUs, but haven't tried to choke it.

 /> > Help: http://mailman.qth.net/mmfaq.htm
 /> > Post: mailto:Elecraft@mailman.qth.net

 > This list hosted by: http://www.qsl.net [1]
 /> > Message delivered to n7...@arrl.net