For me, the best noise blanker was on my old Drake R4C.  That thing worked GREAT!

Bob, WG9L

On 12/15/2021 1:14 PM, Fred Jensen wrote:
I find both the NB and NR on my K3 to be moderately underwhelming, not sure why.  Ignition noise used to predominate in urban and suburban areas and blankers like the one in the 75A4 were very effective.  I don't know what Detroit did, but I haven't heard ignition noise in years.  A general rule of thumb has always been to use blanking in wider bandwidths which sort of makes sense I guess ... the blanking pulses consume a smaller fraction of the overall signal passband.  My understanding of the K3 NR is that the DSP processor tries to build a matched filter around the signal on the fly.  It may be a bit too much for the algorithms, I've never had much success with it on broader noise such as power mains hash.  Backing off the RF gain seems to be more effective.

The best noise reduction I've ever encountered was on the receivers in the transportable AN/TRC-96 2.5 KW HF ISB system back in the 60's.  3 voice channels and 16 TTY channels on the 4th. Don't remember the mfr and don't know how they did it but you could literally make noise disappear with minimal effects on the signals.

73,

Fred ["Skip"] K6DGW
Sparks NV DM09dn
Washoe County