Hi Andy,

Thanks for your interest.  Just FYI, Dick, K6KR, from Elecraft responded to
my initial email and is assisting me (on a Sunday during a holiday weekend
- one of the great things about Elecraft!).  He had me send him traces from
both versions of the firmware.  He has not had time to look at them yet in
great detail.

In the meantime, to answer your questions:

<< How does the KAT 500 fail to find a solution?  Does it give a "no match
fault" or does it end the search with a solution that is not satisfactory?

It churns through its routine and does not end with a satisfactory
solution.  While running the traces for Dick, I noticed that it *will* find
a good solution but when it ends the tuning routine it is at a solution
that leaves it with a high SWR.  By carefully watching the values displayed
in the utility, I can manually enter the values displayed at the lowest SWR
and fix the problem for a given frequency range.  At Dick's suggestion, I
have done this for every frequency range on 80 meters and had the tuner
memorize them.  Let me tell you, this takes patience and concentration.  :)

So, I have a workaround for now and hopefully K6KR will be able to diagnose
the problem from the traces I sent him.

<< What power are you running for autotune?  Do you see a different result
if you increase power? >>
25 watts, and no.

Thanks again for your interest.

Bart, NS4X