I suspect that not having radials to the East causes the radiation pattern to be higher than it might otherwise be...which might be just what it needs to hop over that hill.

Still, it might be fun to try laying out some radials and see if it makes a difference. Maybe with some sort of remote controlled switch to connect and disconnect them for A-B comparison :).

               - Jerry KF6VB

On 2022-01-16 10:41, Jim Brown wrote:
On 1/16/2022 10:21 AM, jerry wrote:
Have you actually tried one?  Mine seems to work.

Define "work." N6BT famously said many years ago that everything
"works" by quickly working all continents on a light bulb.

I was ready to put
out radials
also, but doesn't seem to be necessary.

The earth is a big resistor. A connection to it does NOT make a
transmit antenna work better -- indeed, using earth as a return adds a
resistor in series with the antenna that burns TX power, making our
signal weaker! Radials serve as both a counterpoise -- a low
resistance return for antenna current -- AND to shield the antenna's
field from the lossy earth beneath it, also minimizing the loss of TX
power.

There's a conceptual discussion of this in slides for a talk I've done
at Pacificon, Visalia, and to several large clubs.

http://k9yc.com/160MPacificon.pdf

73, Jim K9YC

Message delivered to je...@tr2.com