This discussion reminded me of a question that I’ve often wondered about
but have never asked.
I have read that when laying out radials on or under the ground, one should
be careful to ensure that they radiate out from a central point without
ever crossing one another.

I have also read about this idea of using galvanized mesh in place of a
traditional radial field. In a mesh, the conductors not only cross, but are
bonded together at every crossing.

So, is there actually an issue if a couple radials happen to cross each
other?

Not that one would do so on purpose, but when adding radials to a system
where the existing ones are no longer visible, it could easily happen…

Curious minds want to know.