The real value in using DX Clusters is the ability to apply detailed filtering, such as
Band
Band Segment
Mode
State and country of spotted stations
State and country of spotters

For CW and Digital modes, it is essential that the cluster provides spots from the Reverse Beacon Network, a worldwide network of automatic decoding machines for those modes.

From a quick perusal of the LOG4OM manual, it looks like the only filtering is for Band and Mode.

Below is my method for connecting to Telnet Nodes. I recently posted it on the N1MM Logger Reflector.  If you don't want to use this method, at least you can use the included list of recommended CC-Cluster nodes.

--------------

There are many ways to hook up to Telnet.  I recommend the following method.  It has worked great for me for years.

1. Go to http://www.bcdxc.org/ve7cc/ and download the CC-User program.  The download link is about 2/3 of the way down the page.

2. Open CC-User, and get it set up.  I can help you with this if you need help.

3. For maximum compatibility with CC-User, connect to a Telnet Node that runs CC-Cluster software, and also carries spots from the Reverse Beacon Network (RBN).  I recommend the following:
ve7cc-1,  ve7cc.net, port 23
ae5e-2, dxspots.com, port 23
n4zkf-1, dxc.n4zkf.com, port 7373
w0mu-1, w0mu.net, port 7373
w8wts-3, dxc.w8wts.net, port 7373

4. Before each contest, set up the filter parameters on the Telnet Node by using the slick graphical CC-User interface.  No knowledge of arcane filter commands is needed.  After the Node is all set up, you can minimize CC-User so it doesn't take up screen space.  CC-User Feeds the filtered spots to N1MM logger via an internal telnet connection on a node called localport, 127.0.0.1, port 7300.  You may have to edit that node into the N1MM Node List.

5. Another advantage of connecting to a CC-Cluster is the built-in error filtering of those nodes.  It is very rare to see a busted call from a CC-Cluster Node.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ