Pat,

Something strange is happening here.  First the facts of 'the case':
1) The KPA100 wattmeter should not be frequency dependent, and neither
should your external wattmeter if it is functioning correctly.
2) Your KPA100 wattmeter apparently needs to be calibrated - use a good 50
ohm resistive dummy load and start over at the point where you adjust the
trimmer cap - caution, a dummy load that is reactive will give you an
incorrect indication of the null point.
3) If you use your external wattmeter to set the KPA100 forward power level,
then the K2/100 indication should track with that external wattmeter
afterwards.
4) Be aware that an external wattmeter may be in error by as much as 10 or
20% OF THE FULL SCALE READING!  This is the typical spec for wattmeters.  Be
careful of the scale, on a 100 watt scale, that means that the error could
be as large as 20 watts (at any point on the scale), so do not use a 100
watt scale to read a 20 watt level, use a 20 watt scale where the maximum
error is only 4 watts.  I cannot stress this subtle point strongly enough.
Even a Bird wattmeter is speced at 5% of full scale, and that is only
guaranteed after calibration!

You may have something else wrong there too, but as first steps, check the
components in the wattmeter section and re-do the wattmeter calibration.
Then see if the power control becomes proper.

73,
Don W3FPR