On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 08:53:22 -0400, "Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote :

> Pat,
>
> Something strange is happening here.  First the facts of 'the case':
> 1) The KPA100 wattmeter should not be frequency dependent, and neither
> should your external wattmeter if it is functioning correctly.
> 2) Your KPA100 wattmeter apparently needs to be calibrated - use a good 50
> ohm resistive dummy load and start over at the point where you adjust the
> trimmer cap - caution, a dummy load that is reactive will give you an
> incorrect indication of the null point.
> 3) If you use your external wattmeter to set the KPA100 forward power level,
> then the K2/100 indication should track with that external wattmeter
> afterwards.
> 4) Be aware that an external wattmeter may be in error by as much as 10 or
> 20% OF THE FULL SCALE READING!  This is the typical spec for wattmeters.  Be
> careful of the scale, on a 100 watt scale, that means that the error could
> be as large as 20 watts (at any point on the scale), so do not use a 100
> watt scale to read a 20 watt level, use a 20 watt scale where the maximum
> error is only 4 watts.  I cannot stress this subtle point strongly enough.
> Even a Bird wattmeter is speced at 5% of full scale, and that is only
> guaranteed after calibration!

Don, I've done all this and taken it into account.  I don't typically post
unless I've spent several hours puzzling over a problem.

> You may have something else wrong there too, but as first steps, check the
> components in the wattmeter section and re-do the wattmeter calibration.
> Then see if the power control becomes proper.

Here is what I think the problem is:

U7 Pin 1 is listed as being between 0 and .8 volts on rx mine is 0 volts on
transmit it is about whatever the supply voltage is, in this case 13.5v.
Looking at the circuit, I see that it supplys voltage to Q5 and is part of
the current sense.  On transmit I measured zero volts on the emitter of Q5,
TP1 and that end of R30.  Seems like Q5 might be dead.

I replaced Q5 and now U7 Pin 1 is about .5v on tx.  However, U7 pin 7 is not
right so guess Q4 might be suspect.

Pat