I have a pair of CM500's I've used extensively for the past 7-8 yrs.maybe
longer.

I typically wear them from 12-40hrs on any major contest weekend.  It would
not be an exaggeration to say

I have well in excess of 1000hrs on them. (a guess..the # might be 2 or
3k.who knows.)

All I did was wear out the bonded pleather, but liked the phones so much I
bought new velour earpads for them that cost nearly as much as the
headphones originally cost, hi. They are better than new now. No issues ever
with the headband.

Recently I bought a few sets of the Koss SB40 and by gosh they look an awful
lot like the Yamaha's..maybe made in the same factory - who knows.  They are
starting to get hard to find as well but I found mine on amazon.ca for
around $60 CDN

Good luck!

Mike VE9AA

Mike, Coreen & Corey