I notice that the red LED on the display PCB no longer comes on, either, now that I have the lid off of the P3.

73,

-- Dave, N8SBE

On 2023-02-26 14:53, Alan Bloom wrote:
By the way, I no longer have a K3 or P3 (lost in a house fire) so this
is from memory...

Since the internal display seems to show OK, no matter how briefly,
I'm thinking this is not an internal display connection issue.

Agreed.

This seems to be a power on reset issue of some sort.

Can you send/receive RS-232 commands to the P3?  If so, then the power
must be on.

If you haven't already, I would try moving the power-on jumper (on the
rear-panel I/O board at the back of the P3) to the "always on"
position (jumper pins 1 and 2).

I take it that the 3.3V supply is 'on' as long as 12V external is supplied to the P3?

No, it's only on when the P3 is on.

What happens is that when the P3 CPU wakes up, one of the first things
it does is to enable the PWON signal to the I/O board which holds the
power on.  If that is not working for some reason, then moving the
power-on jumper to "always on" should force the P3 to stay on.

Alan N1AL