I keep a close watch on the weather during lightning season here. Also, I often have the AM broadcast band on and, depending on the distance and power output of various stations, can hear the lightning strikes as they build into the region.

In the shack I watch the realtime lightning map at lightningmaps.org which is also a useful tool to let you know when you might want to start shutting down. When lightning activity is getting close you can hear a strike on the radio and see it appear moments later on the map.

73,
Drew
AF2Z