On 7/28/2023 5:46 PM, Tom Doligalski via Elecraft wrote:
Turned out when the cable was brought into the house many years ago the
installer failed to adequately ground at the entry point....

In the home I bought here in W6, power, CATV, and telco terminate at the same point. That's a good thing. The only attempt at an earth electrode was about 35 ft of bare (#10?) copper (subsequently painted with the house) that wandered to the outlet for a garden hose, which was fed by PVC pipe. So the system had no ground.

They did slightly better in the mother-in-law garage apartment building that now houses my shack. The same bare copper, again painted, ran from that building's sub-panel, up into the attic, across to the other side of the building, where it snaked along framing and a window frame, where it finally was connected to a driven rod, the only one on the property.

There were other glaring wiring errors, including 120V outlets in a half-kitchen/laundry room fed between phase and green. There was a generator in a nice little doghouse, with manual transfer switches, but the generator was missing lots of parts, so it could not possibly have run. And a company got paid to inspect the place on my behalf (I lived in Chicago at the time). This turkey found a list of dumb stuff, like dimensions of exterior steps, but nary a word about electrical.

73, Jim K9YC