"> How does your KAT500 know what frequency to use? Does it have a serial data
interface or does it depend only on the internal RF counter?

W7BRS>  AUX cable between K3 to KAT-500 and KAT-500 to KPA-500.  They are in
serial communication per Elecraft protcol(s), whatever those are.

> What KAT500 mode (AUTO, MAN, BYP) is selected when you observe this anomaly?

W7BRS> Per manual for KAT-500/KPA-500 the stated "nominal" mode is MAN.  So I
leave the KAT-500 in MAN *after* tuning the antenna to 1.1."

Your problem sounded a bit like the conflict between serial data frequency and
RF count when operating near a "bin" boundary.  However, my only experience
with that problem is with Kenwood rigs using serial data to provide frequency
to KAT500.  I have no experience with AUXBus.

For Kenwood owners one solution was to use the FDT command to desensitize the
RF counter so serial data frequency always had priority.  The command
description implies it is equally applicable to AUXBus so may be worth
experimenting.

"FDT Frequency Counter Distance for Retune
GET format: FDT;
SET/RESPONSE format: FDT nn; where nn is the distance, in kHz, between the
current ATU frequency and the most recent TX frequency count for the ATU to
change ATU settings to the new frequency. The value is between 0 (interpreted
as the default of 10 kHz) thru 65535, which disables ATU tuning based on
frequency count. This is intended for customers that prefer the KAT500 only
follow the frequency provided by a serial port command or the K3/K3S/K4 AUXBUS,
or select a minimum distance between current ATU frequency and a newly counted
frequency.
FDT was introduced in firmware version 01.99."

Andy, k3wyc