Run the power calibration.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

On 4/4/2024 9:03 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
I just set the audio to be sure I'm  hitting 4 bars of ALC,and the cycle of adjust K-3 power to full expected drive to the KPA-1500 is now more like CW, but the question remains -  after I adjust the power a tiny fraction in either direction, why does the K-3's output power drop way back and relatively slowly recover?

73, Pete N4ZR

This is typical for those who insist on not running data modes
with 4-5 bars of ALC.  You are not providing enough audio and
the K3/K3s needs to engage the expander (additional audio gain)
in order to achieve enough drive to reach the set power level.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV