Earl, K6SE wrote regarding keying:

Not too quickly, or clicks will result.  The K2 had quite bad clicks
(+/-1500 Hz) until they developed a mod to cure that problem.  K2 kits now
include the mod, and they are among the most click-free of rigs today, with
clicks extending only about +/-200 Hz from center freq.

----------------------------
 You missed the rest of that post. I wrote:

"If the waveform is too sharp, those pulses (or clicks) will be widely
separated from the carrier frequency - several hundred Hz or even more! That
sharp of keying is never needed and only serves to produce QRM on the bands.
But a reasonable amount of sideband energy is required for intelligible CW."

Of course, we operate rigs with a great range of sophistication from modern
rigs to hold homebrew one-tube oscillators that do a bit of "yooping" and
clicking when keyed - and all of them are legal on the Ham bands.

One of the things that characterize Amateur operations is just that,
adapting, tinkering, building and experimenting with equipment that produces
something far less than the theoretically possible level of performance
while enjoying and learning from what we can do with it. Only a small
percentage of the operators meet the "state of the art" limits in any arena
with their rigs.

What is unacceptable with regards to clicks is a matter of opinion. I'll
seldom comment on clicks out to a KHz or so from the carrier, especially if
it's an older design. I was never unhappy with the performance of the K2.

I would never want to discourage anyone from wiring up a one or two stage
transmitter or from firing up a 50 or 75 year old antique rig on the bands.
To me, that's what Ham radio is really all about.

Ron AC7AC