Hmm,

Any detectable chirp seems to drive some of today's ARRL "Official
Observers" into near apoplexy but I enjoy hearing it!

That's interesting.

Which FCC or ARRL guideline mentions chirp, or otherwise attempts to
regulate the keying waveform?

I had a look through our Canadian guidelines:

  RIC 2 - Standards for the Operation of Radio Stations in the
Amateur Radio Service

I can't find anything about chirp, although there is a clause about
frequency stability, and I suppose that chirp could be defined as
frequency stability over a period of time equivalent to a code
element.  But I rather think that it means drift and not chirp.

So - as long as I keep to 6kHz bandwitdh and 1kHz on 30m, then it
looks like I'm allowed to have chirp on my signal.

Now where do I need to solder a small cap on the KX1 to introduce some
nice distinctive chirp on my signal?...

73
Martin.
VA3SIE.