Roy,

Apparently not all USB to serial adapters are fully compliant with the RS232 protocol. Having a need for a good adapter myself for programing Basic Stamp micro controllers I inquired on the appropriate forums. The consensus was that the Keyspan 19HS adapter was the the most compliant adapter available. I purchased the adapter for about $35 directly from www.keyspan.com. This adapter has worked flawlessly for every application I have tried it with on both Windows and Mac platforms.

73
Larry
KB5DXY