Ha, ha!! Don't feel bad Keith. Watching an S-meter is definitely part of the
'shortwave mystique'. I knew I had "arrived" when in the 1950s I acquired an
HRO-5 that featured a beautiful back-lit S-meter. That receiver required the
AGC be turned off in CW mode because the BFO would trigger the AGC and
desense the receiver, but I had tons of AM signals in the Ham bands and
outside to watch the S-meter respond to.

Shoot, the Hallicrafter's S-76 receiver featured an S-meter that must have
been over 4" across, using up as much space on the front panel as the whole
tuning dial.

I think it's not been an issue for me with the K2 because I've never been
able to look at a bargraph or even a computer image of a meter on a screen
as a real "meter". They just don't provide the same feeling as the old
"wiggly needle" d'Arsonval meters.

Still, top o' the line receivers like the K2 feature I.F. AGC that is far
more versatile than the receivers with those huge S-meters. And maybe the
piddlin' little bargraph puts the real value of an "S" reading in
perspective <G>.

Ron AC7AC