Keith KD1E wrote:
I'm still wondering how hard it would be to hook that LDG meter up to the K2
to give me a real analog S-meter!

One of the things I've noticed about the K2's AGC is that it doesn't seem to
boost gain as high as my 830s.  In other words, it will allow background
noise to remain in the background.  I need to spend some more time under the
cans with both rigs to get a better long-term feel for them.

----------------------------------

The K2, like many modern receivers, has very limited "RF gain control" range
compared to receivers of years ago that had multiple I.F and R.F amplifier
stages active on all bands.

In the K2, the only stage controlled by the AGC or the RF gain control is
the I.F. amplifier. Like many modern receivers, the K2's front end or "RF"
gain is manually controlled by switching a preamp or an attenuator in or
out. That gives you another 24 dB control over the total gain, but that's
not controlled by either the RF gain control or the AGC.

The K2 uses an MC1350 I.C. It has a maximum gain control range of perhaps 60
dB. Now, in rigs like the K2 with their excellent dynamic range that's
enough when it's coupled with manual control of the front end gain but, as
you noticed, it's not enough to silence the receiver when it's turned all
the way down, particularly if you have the preamplifier switched on.

I agree with your lusting for a real meter on the K2! I've considered doing
exactly that many times. It should be straightforward to do. The MC1350 uses
an analog d-c voltage to control its gain. The voltage runs, typically, from
+5 to +7 vdc to vary the gain of the MC1350 over its range. That voltage is
applied to pin 5 of the I.C.

There are times when an S-meter with good resolution is handy for more than
just having fun watching it jump around. Comparative signal reports, for
example. But it takes a meter than can be read with some accuracy. An
S-meter, even if it's not calibrated to any particular standard, coupled
with a step attenuator like the Elecraft AT1 at the receiver antenna input
can provide very useful checks. When the other station makes a change, you
note the change in the "S-meter" reading, then switch attenuation in or out
to bring the meter reading back to the original level. Then you know the
exact effect of the change in decibels. Once you know the difference in dB
the signal has changed, it's easy to equate that to the change in "apparent
power". For example, if a change raises the level of a signal such that you
have to switch in 4 dB on the AT1 to bring the S-meter back to the same
reading, you know that the change had the same effect as if the other
station had raised his transmitter power 2.5 times, say from 5 to 12.5 watts
or from 100 to 250 watts. That procedure works equally well for helping
someone else understand the effects of change at their station or for doing
A/B comparisons of two antennas at your own station while listening to
signals on the air. Recognizing that a lot of folks don't like poking at
calculators, the AT1 manual even includes a look-up table where you simple
find the dB of attenuation changed and next to it is the value to either
multiply or divide the original value by to see the change in watts, volts
or amperes.

A suitable interface using a simple op-amp circuit to prevent loading the
AGC line in the K2, coupled with an adjustable offset to zero the meter with
the maximum gain voltage applied to the MC1350 should drive just about any
meter movement you can think of

One of these days I'll get around to it. In the meantime, I'll continue to
do it the "hard way" and carefully adjust the K2 so I'm certain it is not
overloaded, turn the AGC OFF so the audio output accurately follows any
change in signal level, and monitor the audio output at the headphone or
speaker jack.

But that loses all the "pizzazz" of the big S-meter!

Ron AC7AC