It's not as elegant as having an automatic circuit handle the issue, but one
way to reduce the amount of ALC and associated "overshoot" on 40 is to
reduce the audio to the rig. Switch in the audio attenuator at the MENU or
otherwise reduce the audio to the mic jack until you are getting just one
bar of ALC flickering, or no ALC bar at all, on voice peaks.

Ron AC7AC