G'day,

| It's not as elegant as having an automatic circuit handle the issue, but
one
| way to reduce the amount of ALC and associated "overshoot" on 40 is to
| reduce the audio to the rig. Switch in the audio attenuator at the MENU
or
| otherwise reduce the audio to the mic jack until you are getting just
one
| bar of ALC flickering, or no ALC bar at all, on voice peaks.

This I have tried.  Setting the gain to SSbA = 1 reduces the overshoot at
the 70W+ level and reduces the ALC to three bars.  However, it still kicks
up to twice the requested power on occasion.  Not good for my GU74 cathode
that.

So to change from 20M to 40M, maybe in the heat of a contest, I now have
to press Band- twice, tap MENU, tap up to SSbA, hold MENU to select the
SSbA parameter, tap down from 2 to 1, exit MENU, tune the linear, remember
to select a band variable power level much less than I need for CW.

Not the best option methinks, not with modern gear at least, in the old
days it was normal to be acting like a one armed paper hanger, not now.
Band decoders, automatic switching etc.  Maybe I should buy one of those
expensive mikes that don't seem to give enough output, that would do it.
The curse of having one of the few K2's on the planet at has a surplus of
AF gain.

Regards,

Mike VP8NO