> The pin jumpers are available from places like All Electronics for 50
> cents for a 40 pin header.  Cut the header into appropriate lengths
> and solder jumper wires and caps/resistors across the correct pins.
> Put the jumpers for the each mod in a small envelope appropriately
> marked and ready for use if necessary.

> I can't see spending big bucks when $2 will do for something you will
> rarely use!! It really is that easy.

I just opened my K2 up for the first time in a year or so to install the
160m option. It took almost no time to build the 160m board (about ten
parts) but it took quite a while to remove the top and bottom covers (being
careful not to lose the mounting hardware for the finals, which I didn't
realize until little screws and washers started falling out all over the
place), remove a jumper, check the value of two caps (didn't have to change
those), install three more caps, install the header, install the receive
antenna connector, install the board, and solder the jumpers to the receive
antenna. Then I had to replace the bottom cover, being careful to get the
heat sink mounting hardware correct again (non-trivial and required digging
out the K2 construction manual and reviewing the instructions for mounting
the finals, which is spread over two or three sections of the text) and
replace the top cover.

I own the Rework Eliminators but by the time they came out I was down to
just a couple options left to install so I've never bothered to install the
RE boards. However, I can definitely see the value of doing the RE
installation while building a new K2. Even if you install all the options
shortly after building the K2, there is a lot of detailed disassembly
required. The longer you wait the more you forget about how things go
together, making it more difficult to efficiently disassemble the radio.

For many of us, removing components is a real PITA. I was fortunate to
stumble onto a good price for a desoldering station and it has been worth
every penny even for just the dozen or so times I've had to use it while
building a K2 and KX1.

Your argument is sound, but it doesn't cover all the bases. First, you're
right that the DIY price may be only a few dollars. But you assume that all
of us have a deep junk drawer with all the random caps and resistors that
are required. You also assume that we're all clever enough (or have enough
time) to figure out what to jumper and where to add a cap to create our own
replacement modules.

Your argument that the RE modules are "big bucks" misses the fact that less
than $40 to buy a complete set of RE headers and parts is pretty miniscule
compared to $1800 for a fully-loaded K2/100. (And $1800 for a fully loaded
K2/100 is pretty miniscule compared to the competition.)

My point isn't so much that you're wrong, but rather that this isn't as
cut-and-dried as you seem to indicate. I agree that upgrading the K2 isn't a
huge problem, but there are many complicating factors that can make it
difficult enough that spending $40 up front isn't a bad idea. It's neither
expensive nor complicated.

Craig
NZ0R
K2/100 #4941