Paul,

I am not certain your test is entirely valid.  If there is no atmospheric
noise on the band you are using, you should notice no difference in level
switching from a dummy load to an antenna.

The bandwidth of the receiver will make a great difference as well, and that
is both the IF bandwidth and the front end bandwidth.  The K2 does have the
low pass filters at the receiver front end - some other receivers run with a
wide open 'DC to Daylight' front end which will pick up more wideband noise.
You are not necessarily comparing apples to apples with such a simplified
subjective measurement.

It would be much more informative to actually measure the MDS at a given
receiver bandwidth and at the frequency of interest.  Measurements of that
nature should be controlled and can be used for valid comparisons.

73,
Don W3FPR