I too have noticed my K2 (5411) seems to be a bit deaf, getting worse as
you go up the bands.  When I compared it side by side with the 830s, the
830s detected and decoded a lot more atmospheric noise than the K2 did.

After some pondering I've come to believe what I'm hearing is not
necessarily a lack of sensitivity, but a difference in AGC action.  My
830s had and aggressive AGC.  So did the Drake 2B.  Each of them
aggressively reduces gain for even the smallest signals which means the
signal will always be turned down to a level that approaches that of the
noise.  Big signal get squashed in a big way.  Even the background noise
on the higher bands was amplified enough to get into the AGC.  With such
aggressive AGC action, the rig is run with AF gain a bit higher making
the presence of static very obvious.

The K2 seems to be different.  The AGC isn't as aggressive so a weak
signal actually *sounds* weaker and a strong one is stronger.  I run the
AF gain lower since average to strong signals are strong and you want to
turn them down.  This keeps the noise level quieter than the Kenwood /
Icom / Drake / TenTec stuff I've owned which is exactly why the K2 is so
nice to use.

There may be a lack of sensitivity on 10 meters, but there's a preamp
built right into the rig.  That way when you don't need the extra
sensitivity, you can turn it off and enjoy the quiet performance and
better dynamic range of a rig with a tad less overall (excess?) gain.

Just some random ramblings, I guess...

73!

- Keith N1AS -
- K2 5411.ssb.100 -