I am close to being able to purchase my kits. I still have to get my IC-718 sold.

Plan
====
K2              Radio           $629
KPA100          100w amp        $389
KAT100-1        100w atu        $239
KDSP2           DSP             $229
KSB2            SSB option      $ 99
KNB2            NB              $ 39

Later
=====
K60XV           60M & xvert $ 89
XV50            6 Meter xvert   $369

Solder-I have a roll of RadioShack PN64-009E .032 diameter 60/40 "standard rosin-core" solder. Based on what I am reading in the archives, and not intending to start a "silver/no silver/lead/no lead discussion, the solder I have on hand (almost a complete 8oz roll) will be sufficient. I have a grounded soldering iron, that has multiple heat levels.

Additionally I have a low wattage iron with a pencil tip. It has been interesting watching the talk about the "pads and holes" and such. I worked on the hardware side of main frame computers in the 80s, and dealt with multi-layer boards (6 or 7 layers) as well as the simple PCBs. I know how much fun such a system can be for re-work.

I currently have a Fluke DMM, and I have just ordered a Fluke 115 which does frequency and capacitance. I am going to head down to Harbor Freight some time this weekend and see if they have some of the over head magnifiers. I have a place to work on the kit, but I do need to work on the lighting a bit.

Noise blanker-If I am operating from home, is this needed? I'm kinda on the fence with this one. My only experience with NB are on the commercial rigs. I understand this one is better, but I have never really seen any impact from using any of them. The archives seem to prove that user either love or hate this one. Which does seem unusual as that is the primary choices.

It is stated on the website, that by installing the KAT100-1, there is no need for the KI02 interface. Just want to ensure I will have everything I need for computer control. I understand I will need their serial kit. Is this what W1SERKT is? The webpage seems to be broken for this. The price list shows it, with a link, but the link goes to the "W1 140W Computing Wattmeter and SWR Bridge".

I plan on contacting "Rework eliminators" with my purchase list, and see what I need to get from them to fully integrate their products into the process.

Mini modules - The choices of the mini-modules is quite broad. What would be useful for building the above kits? The N-gen and 2T-gen seem useful for the alignment, but is one more useful than the other? The XG2 seems like it would be quite useful. Is there a need in the test and alignment for an attenuator such as ATI?

160m module-I have not found a way to get a 160m antenna up that suits me. But for the price and getting the extra receive port, this seems like it might be worthwhile. Any thoughts?

Any other thoughts about the "plan"?  Anything I have overlooked?
--

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]