Darrell,

Certainly a meter could be devised to indicate the strength of the signals
making it through the IF filter - you have the correct points in mind - all
you have to do is tap in at the input of the IF amplifier and then amplify
the signal(s) and drive whatever circuits you want (even a duplicate of the
stock IF amp and  AGC/S-meter circuit).

The biggest problem to solve is how to tap into that signal path without
degrading the signal present in the receiver - that can be accomplished as
long as you pay attention to the impedances.

You may want to look into the Analog Devices AD8307 log amplifier rather
than duplicating the IF amp, especially if you want to drive an external
meter - the '8307 has a log function built in so you can have an S-meter log
response with a linear meter.

73,
Don W3FPR