What I was referring to is the common circuits used in most receivers of olden days. (Tube era) Most receivers depended on the AGC level for signal strength indication. At best a large approximation and some wishful thinking. Not only do 50 microvolt (if that's your "standard") S-9 levels vary from band to band, but also at the high and low ends of the bands as well. I have dealt with Field strength meters where the "S meter" actually indicates microvolts per meter, and they go thru some rather careful procedures to make sure the receiver's gain is the same wherever the measurements are made. I've never used the H-P instruments that are popular on the 500 Khz experimental band at present. Anyway, the short of it is one can't depend on an "S meter" on a 'communications receiver' to really be accurate. No matter who makes the receiver generally. Unless it is some special purpose device especially made for measuring the input levels. One of the silliest ideas I have ever seen was when Bill Halligan's folks put that HUGE 4-1/2" "S" meter on the S-76 when they came out with it. I personally thought that they'd have done better if they had just jeft the loudspeaker there and offered an external "S" meter. The S-76 was a big improvement over the old S-40, but why that big meter? Also calibrated in microvolts by the way!

73,
Sandy W5TVW
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Wilhelm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: "Sandy W5TVW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, March 11, 2007 11:41 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] AGC Independent S-Meter?

Sandy,

As far as I know, there is no direct relationship between the strength of a
signal and receiver AGC.

My AD8307 power meter can measure signal strengths directly off an antenna
if called upon to do that, it goes down to -80 dBm (about S-8) with no other
amplification.  This is strictly a power meter, no AGC implied or
implemented - the output is the base 10 logarithm of the input signal.

All one must do is measure the strength of the received signal to drive an
S-meter - but it must be calibrated if it is used as an absolute measurement
device.

Yes, the implementation in most receivers derive the AGC voltage from the
same signal strength measurement circuits, so things get a bit mixed up, and
often appear as a 'chicken and egg' situation.

73,
Don W3FPR