-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Rick Dettinger
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2007 10:56 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] AGC Independent S-Meter?

For CW signals the solution was easy. One added a "hard limiter" to the
audio channel. If a really strong signal was encountered without warning, it
was clipped of at some preset maximum volume (below the threshold of pain,
hopefully). Most operators used the limiter at all times in case a huge
signal came on frequency.

Ron AC7AC

I wonder if it is possible to adjust the AGC on the K2 to only work on
strong signals, to act as a hearing protection limiter only, with little
action on all other signals.  I understand this would work for CW only rigs.
I like to use my K2 with AGC off, but value whats left of my hearing.  Was
that why old time commercial operators wore headphones forward of their
ears?  Be hard to do with modern "cushion" phones. Rick Dettinger K7MW