Thanks for putting the historical perspective on this Ron. Makes total sense
when you see the evolution.

>From a new guy perspective, I've never used the S-meter to give my signal
reports (I only operate CW for now) and I do use the AGC (RF gain all the
way up and use the AF gain for volume). I issue my RST report based on what
I hear. I agree with Fred, that by today's standard, an R is really the most
important indication of how the QSO is received. But I do use the Tone
aspect of something less than 9 when I hear bad chirping or several
harmonics on the signal. I then usually back that up later in the QSO so
that the op knows what I'm hearing (or let me know if something wrong on my
end).

I did go through the exercise of calibrating my S-meter with the XGen2, but
then I went with the OP1 setting as my FL1 and the meter reads 2 bars while
I'm in CW mode. (I read why that may be in the reflector archives).

I simply use it as somewhat of a visual indication that the strength I
perceive with my ears is really kicking my butt ;-)

73,
Dave W8FGU