Thanks for all the comments. I ordered a KDSP2 (and received notice that
it has shipped) and expect to have it in my K2 in time for my birthday
next weekend :-)

The discussion also seems to have pushed me over the edge on finally
investigating small loop antennas. The prospect of putting any
sort of rotating antenna outside is still difficult with my shack
arrangement (well, controlling an outside antenna from the inside,
that is), but I can see myself doing some experiments out at the
feed through...

I'll report back.

73 de chris K6DBG

P.S. Thanks for the reminder of using a wide Xfil and the filter
"between my ears". It definitely helps.