Larry,

Try Sharper Concepts <www.sharperconcepts.net>. You may have to buy two crimpers to cover all common coax sizes, but I found their prices less than a single tool with interchangable dies. I don't know if they are the cheapest, but I don't usually buy tools just because they are cheap, cheap tools are usually not up to the task that needs to be done, but some quality tools are moderately priced. Cheap tools are rarely any bargain.

73,
Don W3FPR

Larry Phipps wrote:
Thanks Jack. That begs the question for us lazy types... which supplier is cheapest?

73,
Larry N8LP

Jack Smith wrote:
I would add that once you have a good crimp tool, such as the ratcheting type Don mentions, one can install crimp UHF connectors as well.

I switched to crimp-type connectors quite a while ago and find them superior to solder-type connectors. Some crimp connectors are double-crimp, i.e., both the center pin and shield are crimped and others have a solder-type center pin and crimp shield.

It's important that the crimp connector be the correct one for the coax type and that you use the correct die size, of course. Some crimp tools have interchangeable die sets and others are made with a non-removable die.

If you decide to buy a crimp tool, shop around, as there is at least a 2:1 price variation from supplier-to-supplier for what seems to be the same tool.

Jack K8ZOA