Jeff,

That is normal behavior - the power will climb a bit if left in TUNE for a period of time. It is mostly the result of heating in the PA transistors. In normal operation, either with CW or SSB, there is not a constant carrier being transmitted and the same conditions will not be present.

Do not leave the K2 in TUNE at high power for any significant length of time - remember that TUNE is transmitting at a 100% duty cycle. OK for short bursts, but not good for longer periods. The base K2 shoud be limited to 5 watts or less for a 100% duty cycle transmission and to 35 watts or less with the KPA100.

73,
Don W3FPR

Jeff Kinzli N6GQ wrote:
Hi Don,

Thanks for the replies.

To answer your questions, the problem occurs into a dummy load.

I set the base K2 (without KPA100 connected) to 5.0W, and then TUNE,
and it starts at 5.0W and heads upwards to 5.7-6.0W (read from the
display, as well as the S-meter). After about 10 seconds in TUNE, it's
up to 5.7 or 6W and the next LED on the S-meter is starting to flicker
some.

Moving the power knob will allow me to bring it back to 5.0W, but the
next TUNE will see the power climb back up again.

I'm not sure if I should still be looking on the RF board at this
point, or start focusing on the control board...?

Thanks, 73,

Jeff