Jeff,

I was really asking if the power jumped to 160 watts regardless of the setting of the power control so I could better suggest where the problem might be - apparently it does not go to 160 watts if you set the power lower.

That behavior is not normal, and right now I would strongly suspect that there is a bad solder connection in the KPA100 wattmeter section or in the VRFDET signal path back to the K2 microprocessor. Do the trimmer pots R26 and R27 look OK? I have found some that were damaged when soldering the transformers cores in the PA - a damaged trimmer could have an intermittent contact at the wiper and cause the results you are seeing. Check the entire path for FWD power indication from the KPA100 wattmeter to the VRFDET signal output (look at the schematic to identify the components - and don't forget about the scaling resistors and the scaling switches Q10 and Q11). Since this is an intermittent condition, it will be difficult to know when it is fixed - that is what makes intermittents so hard to deal with - try tapping on things to try to induce a failure.

73,
Don W3FPR

Jeff Kinzli N6GQ wrote:
Don, thanks.

I do have a recently-made KPA100 (~3 months) and have installed the
upgraded C31 to combat the parasitic.

When in QSO, I see the power jump up, and it seems to stay there until
I enter a TUNE operation or manually drop the power level via the
power knob.

I spend a lot of time on 40M, so that's where I usually see the
problem. I do believe it happens on other bands though.

If an occasional jump to 150W is ok, then I won't worry about it. I
can leave the power knob lower so that the maximum power reached is
less than 130W on those transients.

73,

Jeff