Congratulations on the introduction of the K3!  I am a
fan of Elecraft but I won't be buying a K3.  Our K2
still has some recognized defects that haven't been
addressed in over 6000 units and almost 10 years of
production.  Although the K3 seems to take into
account a lot of the comments we've made over the
years, it looks like it is jumping on the SDR
bandwagon.  If any of you have followed the Software
Defined Radio Bandwagon, as it applies to "amateur
radio" developments, it simply means that the radio
manufacturers are more willing to put out a
"half-baked" radio than to commit to thoroughly
testing a radio.  Flex Radio and Ten Tec have tried to
take the approach telling us that we won't need to
replace hardware for a long time since the software
can be updated to take into account new features.  All
I've seen is that the manufacturers who pursue this
route take advantage of reprogrammability to fix their
own problems at a later date.  By the time the
problems are solved, technology has improved and a new
piece of hardware becomes available and support for
the older equipment dwindles.  Both of those companies
have obsoleted their initial releases in 3 or 4 years.

Perhaps the modular approach taken by Elecraft in the
K3 is the way to go.  I for one am curious if they are
still using MicroChip PIC's, which are way too slow,
or if they have chosen a real processor.  I really
would like to be happy about this new radio but with
OUR K2's issues still unresolved, it makes me wonder
if it is worth spending almost $3000 to take a chance.
  Perhaps it is better to play it safe and go with a
tried and true ICOM Pro3 or even a Yaesu FT2000.

Good luck.

Dave-