Dave,

I fully understand your concerns here. This is an issue we had planned to address anyway.

The K3 has "software-defined" features in the sense that the DSP is very easily upgradeable (one-click PC application), and powerful, and can handle future operating modes or signal processing tasks. It also has a huge amount of flash memory for filter parameter storage. Thus we may be able to do very interesting things in the future such as auto-tuning of SSB signals, syllabic squelch, DSP noise blanking with signal restoration, etc.

We hope to incorporate ideas from K3 owners over time, given this flexibility. But all features that are available at time of shipment will be very stable, and we won't be depending on the programming community to "fix" anything. We'll retain close control over the source code for both the DSP and the main microcontroller to ensure high quality.

Regarding the microcontroller:

The K3's MCU is the largest and fastest in Microchip's line, and I can assure you it is not "way too slow". It runs at 4.5 times the speed of the K2's MCU. If a radio with this MCU running at this speed were to appear "slow" to the operator, it would be the programmer's fault, not the MCU's. In the case of the K3, we can simultaneously handle 38.4 kB RS232 I/O; internal CW keying at 50 WPM; rapid update of the LCD; full decode and display of PSK31/CW/RTTY text; and a continuous, rich interaction between the MCU and DSP. There is no horsepower limitation here!

The MCU is supplemented by a very large flash memory on the front panel, providing a huge amount of help text and table storage, and leaving plenty of ROM for all foreseen upgrades.

I realize that our competition is using PC cores in their radios. These have several major disadvantages compared to our Microchip MCU:

- embedded PCs have much higher current drain (our entire radio can draw as little as 0.8 amps,
    vs. 2 to 3 amps for other high-performance rigs)

- embedded PCs may have very slow boot-up times (the K3 turns on in less than 1 second; I believe at least one of our competitor's rigs takes 11 seconds because it has to
    boot a Microsoft operating system!)

- embedded PCs and their support ICs generate much more RFI (our entire MCU subsystems draws something like 20-30 mA, dramatically reducing both conducted and radiated emissions, and thus
    simplifying shielding requirements)

- embedded PCs have much greater cost and complexity (our choice of MCU is one reason we can
    offer an extremely competitive radio starting at well under $2000)

As you may know, writing firmware for a microcontroller is vastly different from writing code for a PC. I prefer the former, and I've been doing it since I was 18. Lyle's been writing DSP code since there were such things ;)

Regarding the K2:

We've learned a lot from developing and supporting the K2. Everything we've learned is reflected in the K3, where we've had the luxury of a larger enclosure, I.F. DSP, larger MCU, more front panel space, more I/O, higher pricetag, etc. And the K3 was designed from the ground up to use surface-mount parts everywhere possible to minimize manufacturing costs.

The K2 is an ongoing product that we'll be updating as time permits. As you may know, we're not a large company, so our engineering resources will be stretched at times.

Please send me directly any suggestions for K2 improvements. I maintain this list, prioritizing task items based on the needs of current and future K2 owners.

Thanks for sharing your views on these topics!

73,
Wayne
N6KR

Dave-Boat Guy wrote:

Although the K3 seems to take into
account a lot of the comments we've made over the
years, it looks like it is jumping on the SDR
bandwagon.  If any of you have followed the Software
Defined Radio Bandwagon, as it applies to "amateur
radio" developments, it simply means that the radio
manufacturers are more willing to put out a
"half-baked" radio than to commit to thoroughly
testing a radio.  Flex Radio and Ten Tec have tried to
take the approach telling us that we won't need to
replace hardware for a long time since the software
can be updated to take into account new features.  All
I've seen is that the manufacturers who pursue this
route take advantage of reprogrammability to fix their
own problems at a later date.  By the time the
problems are solved, technology has improved and a new
piece of hardware becomes available and support for
the older equipment dwindles.  Both of those companies
have obsoleted their initial releases in 3 or 4 years.

Perhaps the modular approach taken by Elecraft in the
K3 is the way to go.  I for one am curious if they are
still using MicroChip PIC's, which are way too slow,
or if they have chosen a real processor....

---

http://www.elecraft.com